opal - [Opal] Space charge effect in photoinjectors

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Space charge effect in photoinjectors

  • From: "Dr Oznur Apsimon" <omete.phys AT gmail.com>
  • To: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [Opal] Space charge effect in photoinjectors
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:02:53 +0200

Hello,

From the example input files, it seems that we are not able to enter the bunch
charge directly but through beam current which is calculated as

bcurrent = charge*RF_freq

I also tried,

bcurrent = charge/(sqrt(2*pi) sigma_z)

for a Gaussian single bunch.

However, even an order of magnitude increase in charge does not create a
change in emittance unlike expected. I am trying Nbin to optimise space charge
impact calculation and using different emission models with no success.

Does anyone study low-energy electrons with space charge? Any help will be
appreciated!

Best wishes,
Oznur