h5part - [H5part] Proposal for Subversion repo re-organization and H5Part version numbers

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

[H5part] Proposal for Subversion repo re-organization and H5Part version numbers

  • From: Achim Gsell <achim.gsell AT psi.ch>
  • To: H5Part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [H5part] Proposal for Subversion repo re-organization and H5Part version numbers
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:10:03 -0700

Hi all,

it is time to re-organize the H5Part Subversion repository and to
define version number for future H5Part releases.

1. Version number

I like the old linux convention: An even minor number indicates a
stable release, an odd minor number a version in development. For
H5Part this means:

- The old version (before July) has version number 1.0.
- The H5Part version with API changes but without H5Block has version
number 1.1 which will change to 1.2 with the first stable release.
- The H5Part version with H5Block has version number 1.3 as long as it
is in development and will change to 1.4, as soon as it becomes
stable.

2. Subversion repository

At PSI we now have a "project" for H5Part (http://h5part.web.psi.ch)
and I want to move the repository from the "amas" project to the new
project space. This is a good opportunity to re-organize the
repository. My proposal is to setup the following branches:

H5Part/trunk
Development branch. Everybody can add new features.

H5Part/1.2
Branch for H5Part with new API but without H5Block. This branch is
closed for new features. As long as there is no stable release the
API may change.

H5Part/1.0
Branch for old H5Part. This branch is open for bugfixes only, no new
feature, no API changes.

H5Part/tags/1.0.0
Read-only branch for release 1.0.0

H5Part/tags/1.x.y