h5part - Re: [H5part] H5Block

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

Re: [H5part] H5Block

  • From: Achim Gsell <achim AT cybercity.ch>
  • To: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [H5part] H5Block
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:13:20 +0100

On Friday 26 January 2007 20:49, Kurt Stockinger wrote:

> I have a specific question about the data format. Is currently
> the assumption that each scalar field is a group (see
> TestField1 and TestField2) and the name of the dataset in the
> scalar field is always "0"?

Yes, if you write a scalar field, a new group in the
group "Block" will be created and in this new group a dataset
with the name "0". If you write a 3d-vector field, it's exactly
the same, but the datasets are named "0", "1" and "2"
corresponding to the three dimensions. This scheme can easily
be extended to any dimension.

I wouldn't say that this is an "assumption", this is the
*defined* format.

> Find below a simple example based
> on H5BlockParTestScalarField.c where I create 2 scalar fields
> with

> H5Block3dWriteScalarField ( f, "TestField1", data );
> H5Block3dWriteScalarField ( f, "TestField2", data2 );
>

> src/H5PartTest> h5dump -H blockfile2.h5
> HDF5 "blockfile2.h5" {
> GROUP "/" {
> GROUP "Step#0" {
> GROUP "Block" {
> GROUP "TestField1" {
> DATASET "0" {
> DATATYPE H5T_IEEE_F64LE
> DATASPACE SIMPLE { ( 4, 3, 2 ) / ( 4, 3, 2 ) }
> }
> }
> GROUP "TestField2" {
> DATASET "0" {
> DATATYPE H5T_IEEE_F64LE
> DATASPACE SIMPLE { ( 4, 3, 2 ) / ( 4, 3, 2 ) }
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }

If I have the time tomorrow, I will write a short specification
of the current H5Part file format. Otherwise you have to wait
until I'm back from vacation.

Achim