h5part - Re: [H5part] Performance

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

Re: [H5part] Performance

  • From: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: John Biddiscombe <biddisco AT cscs.ch>
  • Cc: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [H5part] Performance
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:45:11 +0100

John Biddiscombe wrote:
Hello,

I recently ran some IO tests on a blue gene machine using 32-2048
processors for the writes of data. The tests were designed to mimic the
type of usage we expect from SPH codes which have approx 5000 particles
per processor (total in this case fo 2048 nodes = 10million)
Performance using H5Part was very slow compared to using a single block
write using raw HDF5 calls. The main difference was H5Part writes each
scalar array independently (more calls to write, more cache hit/miss
tests)

Has anyone done any performance tests/tuning on large numbers of
processors. Based on the results I have been getting, we will not use
H5Part on the bluegene (unless I can find a way of speeding it up)

Thanks. (NB. I am in the process of collecting statistics which I'll
happily share with you all, but I would like to save myself the trouble
if any of you have done similar studies and published interesting
workarounds etc)

JB

Hello John good to hear from you! Sorry for the delay I am at Los Alamos right now!
Attached a paper with old number and an xls sheed John Shalf has compiled
comparing different architectures i.e. machines (in the xls file, HDF5 == H5part).
The data are not for very large number of nodes.

Achim: can you send the data Roman and Valeri collected, w.r.t. HDF5 setup/configuration.

However you address a point that has to be looked at: in my opinion we have to prevent writing small
junks of data and try to cash as much as possible and then write large junks of data.

Can you share the test program with us so that we eventually can fix that. I would love to use H5Part on IBM!

Best Andreas

--
Dr. sc. math. Andreas (Andy) Adelmann
Staff Scientist