h5part - [H5part] Re: [H5part] A high performance implementation of MPI-IO for a Lustre file system environment

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

[H5part] Re: [H5part] A high performance implementation of MPI-IO for a Lustre file system environment

  • From: John Shalf <jshalf AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: h5part AT lists.psi.ch, Mark Howison <MHowison AT lbl.gov>
  • Subject: [H5part] Re: [H5part] A high performance implementation of MPI-IO for a Lustre file system environment
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 02:49:44 -0700

Very strange...
I would like to see the text of the article to see more specifically what they are claiming.
It all depends on their definition of "large" and "small".  If you think of the collective buffering, it does look like its breaking some large I/O's into a bunch of small sparse (1-4mb) operations when viewed from the collective buffering processes.  I'd be pretty surprised if their solution uses transactions that are < 1mb in size (the Lustre stripe width).

Do you have the full paper?