h5part - Re: [H5part] Re: notes on changes to the H5hut trunk

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

Re: [H5part] Re: notes on changes to the H5hut trunk

  • From: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [H5part] Re: notes on changes to the H5hut trunk
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 10:58:23 +0200

On 01.07.10 21:43, Achim Gsell wrote:
Hi Mark,

On Jul 1, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Mark Howison wrote:

Ok, I understand the issue better now, and it seems to be one of
convention. The three examples you give that I am familiar with (hdf5,
mpich, openmpi) all feature compiler wrappers as part of the library
(h5cc, mpicc, etc.) and these reduce the complexity of compilation and
linking for the user. Since ease-of-use is one of the primary design
considerations for H5hut, I would argue that we either need to use a
single library with all language bindings, or we can use separate
libraries only if we also provide a set of compiler wrappers. This is
the type of linker call I want to avoid:

mpicc -L(paths...) -lH5hutC -lH5hutcore -lhdf5 -lz -lm -o ...

and replace with a wrapper as simple as:

h5hcc -o ...

or with a single library:

h5cc -L(paths...) -lH5hut -o ...

Actually, the wrapper is looking like a good option now (and also
agrees with the conventions for the hdf5/mpi libraries that we are
building on top of).
The wrapper is a good idea! The wrapper is pretty simple and we don't have to
rewrite/change configure.ac and the Makefile.am's.

Achim
ok that sounds good to me too :-)
AA

--