h5part - Re: [H5part] Extending H5Part to particles + changing-topology tetrahedron meshes

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

Re: [H5part] Extending H5Part to particles + changing-topology tetrahedron meshes

  • From: gsell <achim.gsell AT psi.ch>
  • To: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov>
  • Cc: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>, "h5part AT lists.psi.ch" <h5part AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [H5part] Extending H5Part to particles + changing-topology tetrahedron meshes
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 16:21:08 +0200

Hi Jozsef,

> On 25 Oct 2016, at 21:50, Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT lanl.gov> wrote:
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Yes, I have seen h5hut but since at the time I was only interested in
> particles,
> I just used H5Part. However, now I would be interested in it more and
> looked at
> it again and saw that there is capability in there to save unstructured
> meshes
> too. This would be great, if it worked in parallel. According to the web
> site it
> does not yet work in parallel. I also have not found documentation on the
> API
> for H5hut. I would be interested in exploring how much work is missing to
> make
> it fulfill the requirements I am aiming for.

An experimental code for reading unstructured meshes in parallel already
exist. But there is still lot of work to do, till this code is really usable.
For the time being we cannot store unstructured meshes per time step, but
this would be a minor change.

> 1. Does anyone know of an existing library that satisfies all the above
> requirements?

No.

> 2. How much work do you think it would be to add the mesh topology
> information
> to H5Part?

In principal this is already possible with H5hut/H5Part. It's not really
according the data model for storing particle data, but anyway ...

A better solution would be to implement another data model for arbitrary
datasets. This shouldn't be to hard.

> I am available for live conversation, possibly via skype, google hangout, or
> phone. Please let me know if someone is interested in pursuing this and
> want to
> have a live discussion on it.

OK, let's have a live discussion on it. Would next Wednesday at 5pm CET (8am
MST?) be OK?

Best

Achim