opal - [Opal] Single quadrupole test

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Single quadrupole test

  • From: Norman Huang <norman-huang AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>, <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Cc: Rick Bartman <krab AT triumf.ca>, Yi-Nong Rao <raoyn AT triumf.ca>
  • Subject: [Opal] Single quadrupole test
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:19:00 -0700

Hi Andreas,

Following up on my request for a sample test file, I've attached the test case that we wrote to simulate a pencil beam through a single focusing quadrupole. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the input format, as the result does not match with expectation; in any case, could you take a look?

Here are the specs for our configuration:

Track: Drift1---->Quarupole---->Drift2

Drift1 = 10 cm
Drift2 = 122.7647 cm

Beam: Proton

Kinetic energy = 460 MeV
Magnetic rigidity = 3.45816 Tm
Initial condition:
Sigma X = Sigma Y = 0.5 cm
Sigma Px = Sigma Py = 0
r12 = r34 = 0

Quadrupole:

Pole tip field = 0.5 T
Apperture radius = 3.55 cm
Length = 20 cm

We still don't know what SigmaT and SigmaPt refer to, but OPAL wouldn't run if we set them to 0.

The expected output is an upright X-Px distribution at the end of Drift2, which we're not getting.

Thanks,
Norman