opal - [Opal] RE: Using a 3DDynamic Field Map

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] RE: Using a 3DDynamic Field Map

  • From: Norman Huang <norman-huang AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>, <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: [Opal] RE: Using a 3DDynamic Field Map
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:42:19 -0700

After digging further into the code, it's apparent that a 3DDyanmic map (at least the FM3DDyanmic class) cannot be used to model quadrupoles.

In line 171-176:

            FieldstrengthEz_m[i] /= Ezmax;
            FieldstrengthEx_m[i] /= Ezmax;
            FieldstrengthEy_m[i] /= Ezmax;
            FieldstrengthHz_m[i] /= Ezmax;
            FieldstrengthHx_m[i] /= Ezmax;
            FieldstrengthHy_m[i] /= Ezmax;

In a quadrupole, the Ez component is ideally 0, which makes this scaling function non physical.

Is there an alternative way to specify an electric field map that only has non-zero values in the X and Y direction? Otherwise I'll be looking to creating a new field map class.

Regards,
Norman