opal - [Opal] symmetry of field maps

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] symmetry of field maps

  • From: Suzie Sheehy <suzie.sheehy AT stfc.ac.uk>
  • To: <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: [Opal] symmetry of field maps
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:01:27 +0000

Hi there,
I am trying to put together a ring which consists of 42 identical cells.

I have a polar co-ordinate field map which, rather than covering an angle of
2pi/42, actually it extends beyond the 2pi/42 angle. In this case I need to
overlap the maps as I go around the full circle of the ring and superimpose
the fields to get the right overall magnetic structure.

The command in my input file looks like:
ffag: Cyclotron, TYPE="CARBONCYCL", CYHARMON=1, PHIINIT=phi0, PRINIT=pr0,
RINIT=r0 , SYMMETRY=42.0, RFFREQ=fqrf, FMAPFN="fmap_polar_opalformatted.dat",
BSCALE=1.0;

I was just wondering if this is correct, and if using 'symmetry' actually
takes into account overlapping maps to achieve the right geometry or not?

I can always superimpose the maps myself into a 360 degree map, but was under
the impression this should work automatically using the 'symmetry' value?
However, my initial tests indicate my assumption might be wrong!

Thanks,
Suzie

Suzie Sheehy
Research Fellow and 2010 Brunel Fellow
Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
ASTeC Intense Beams Group
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (R2, 403)
Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0QX
+44 (0)1235 446 782
suzie.sheehy AT stfc.ac.uk
www.suziesheehy.co.uk