opal - [Opal] problem with regression test "ParallelPlateFurman1"

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] problem with regression test "ParallelPlateFurman1"

  • From: Achim Gsell <achim.gsell AT psi.ch>
  • To: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [Opal] problem with regression test "ParallelPlateFurman1"
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:16:47 +0200

Hi,

I try to fix the ParallelPlateFurman1 test and get the following error:

ParallelTTracker {+0}> 14.20.41 Step 0 at 2.500 [mm] t= 2.000e-12
[s] E= 0.003 [keV]
[proc 0] E: H5WriteFileAttribString: Cannot create attribute 'OPAL_flavour'
for '/'.
[proc 1] E: H5WriteFileAttribString: Cannot create attribute 'OPAL_flavour'
for '/'.
[proc 2] E: H5WriteFileAttribString: Cannot create attribute 'OPAL_flavour'
for '/'.
[proc 3] E: H5WriteFileAttribString: Cannot create attribute 'OPAL_flavour'
for '/'.

The problem is that the attribute 'OPAL_flavour' is already set and H5hut
doesn't allow to overwrite the value. This is one of the ancient decisions
former H5Part developers made. Unfortunately there is no API call get query
the existence of an attribute. To solve the problem we can

1) implement a H5hut function H5GetFileAttribExists() and adopt the OPAL code
accordingly

2) or change the H5WriteXxxAtribXxx() calls.

I prefer the second. Usually data in a file opened for writing can be
overwritten. In append mode data can only be appended but not be overwritten.
Applied to H5hut means, it is possible to add new time-steps, add new
attributes, add new datasets/field-data to steps etc. but you cannot
overwrite an existing attribute, dataset etc.

Comments, suggestions?

Achim