opal - [Opal] 3D Field Maps in OPAL-T

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] 3D Field Maps in OPAL-T

  • From: Nicole Neveu <nneveu AT hawk.iit.edu>
  • To: opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: [Opal] 3D Field Maps in OPAL-T
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 21:54:52 -0600

Hi OPAL'ers,

I recently tried to add a second 3DDynamic RF fieldmap to one of my beam line simulations in OPAL-T. I was seeing no energy gain in the second cavity with this beamline layout:
3D RF gun ----Solenoids --- 3D RF Linac

After trying this and that, phase scan, etc, I paired the 3D Linac with a 2D gun, and saw energy gain:
2D RF gun ----Solenoids--- 3D RF Linac

Inline image 1

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Do both cavities need to be exactly the same phase for OPAL to autophase or sync them? In this case, the desired freq is 1.3 GHz, and the two field maps differ by ~0.2 MHz. My guess is that is too small to make a difference?

I can send input files and data, if interested.

Thanks,

Nicole