opal - Re: [Opal] Example of a chicane?

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Example of a chicane?

  • From: Christof Metzger-Kraus <christof.j.kraus AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Hall <chall AT radiasoft.net>
  • Cc: "Power, John" <JP AT anl.gov>, "Kuske, Bettina" <bettina.kuske AT helmholtz-berlin.de>, "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Example of a chicane?
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 11:40:14 +0100

Hi Chris,

the results for the upcoming version of OPAL (v. 2.0, release date not yet fixed) seem to be much better. However a particle with x,px,y,py,z,dz=0 doesn't stay perfectly on the reference trajectory, see attachement. I'll have to investigate more into this to find out why this is so.

My suspicion is that OPAL 1.6.0 can't handle this case correctly. The way how OPAL 1.6.0 places elements and tracks the bunch is in many ways inadequate for lattices with several dipoles. When simulating bERLinPro we ran into several issues which finally led to the development of "OPAL-T3D" (see http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/ipac2016/papers/wepoy034.pdf).

christof