opal - Re: [Opal] MAC build problem solved

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] MAC build problem solved

  • From: PSI <achim.gsell AT psi.ch>
  • To: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: Jonathan Edelen <jedelen AT radiasoft.net>, Christopher Hall <chall AT radiasoft.net>, "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <Opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] MAC build problem solved
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:09:26 +0100

Hi all,
On 16 Nov 2017, at 01:24, Adelmann Andreas (PSI) <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch> wrote:

Dear colleagues, according to Achim Gsell the build problem

I'm not sure whether we (Andreas and me) are talking about the same problem.  We run into several problems with Xcode8 and newer. Till Xcode7 the procedure to build OPAL on macOS and Linux was the same. The changes made in Xcode8 introduced several problem with GCC build from the sources and tools shipped with Xcode like ld64(1) and as(1).

On the wiki-page you find instructions how to build OPAL on macOS Sierra with Xcode8 and some software from Macports including gcc54 and openmpi-gcc54. Chris Mayes reported a problem with openmpi-gcc54 on macOS High Sierra with Xcode 9.0.0 and 9.0.1.

- Building OPAL on macOS Sierra with Xcode8 works as described in the wiki.
- Building OPAL on macOS Sierra with Xcode9 *should* work in the same way. I'm going to test it.
- I do *not* know whether the problem with High Sierra and openmpi-gcc54 from Macports has been solved. This problem must be solved in Xcode9 or Macports. This is nothing we can do.

I just installed macOS High Sierra on a VM. I'm going to compile (better: try to compile) OPAL on this system with Xcode9.1 and current Macports.

Cheers

Achim

Cheers Andreas

------
Dr. sc. math. Andreas (Andy) Adelmann
Staff Scientist
Paul Scherrer Institut WBBA/219 CH-5232 Villigen PSI
Phone Office: xx41 56 310 42 33 Fax: xx41 56 310 31 91
Phone Home: xx41 62 891 91 44
Friday: ETH HPK G 28   +41 44 632 75 22
The more exotic, the more abstract the knowledge,
the more profound will be its consequences.
Leon Lederman

Paul Scherrer Institut
WHGA/U136
CH-5232 Villigen PSI