opal - RE: [Opal] Installing OPAL code

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

RE: [Opal] Installing OPAL code

  • From: Daniel Winklehner <winklehn AT mit.edu>
  • To: Nicole Neveu <nneveu AT hawk.iit.edu>, Eric Prebys <eprebys AT ucdavis.edu>
  • Cc: opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: RE: [Opal] Installing OPAL code
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:24:11 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Eric,

After extracting the opal binary archive with tar, did you source the shell script that sets up the paths to the modules (dependencies)? It should be executed from the OPAL root folder (after extraction without changing the name, it is “./OPAL-2.0.0rc2”) by calling “source ./etc/profile.d/opal.sh”. I just tried this on Ubuntu 16.04 (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and it worked right out of the box.

Here’s what I did:

> wget http://amas.web.psi.ch/Downloads/OPAL/package/OPAL-2.0.0rc2-2-x86_64-linux.tar.xz

> tar –xvf OPAL-2.0.0rc2-2-x86_64-linux.tar.xz

> cd OPAL-2.0.0rc2

> source ./etc/profile.d/opal.sh

> opal

Best,

   Daniel

P.S.: Compiling it from scratch requires a number of libraries that can be difficult to install on some systems (boost, hdf5, H5Hut, etc.). Together with Achim Gsell at PSI, we tested a method (again, Linux tested only) to use the modules (tool-chain) that come with the binary to get an environment that lets us compile opal from the master repository on gitlab. If that is of interest for you, I will produce a little write-up.