opal - RE: [Opal] Automated Override of Monitoroutput, Visualize Elements & Elegant Lattice

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

RE: [Opal] Automated Override of Monitoroutput, Visualize Elements & Elegant Lattice

  • From: "Snuverink Jochem (PSI)" <jochem.snuverink AT psi.ch>
  • To: "'Thomas, Sebastian'" <sthomas AT uni-mainz.de>, "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: RE: [Opal] Automated Override of Monitoroutput, Visualize Elements & Elegant Lattice
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:23:45 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

Dear Thomas,

Ø  I have some problems with the output of OPAL, specifically the monitors. I have three monitors in my beam line and try to evaluate their ASCII Output with a Python Script of my own. The thing is, I realised that OPAL sometime just "appends" the output file instead of completely overriding it. Of course, that leads to corrupted data. It happened after I changed the amount of macroparticles. Is there a way to make sure that OPAL deletes or overrides all old data in its folders?

That should not happen and sounds like a bug. What version are you using? Can you send a minimal example input file? There is no option in OPAL that deletes all old output. To circumvent the behaviour you see, I would recommend writing a small script that deletes the output files and then executes opal.

Ø  I did not found a documentation regarding how to handle the "Visualize Elements"  part in the data output after a successful run in OPAL. Did I overlook it or is there none?

Do you mean the monitor output file? In general https://gitlab.psi.ch/OPAL/pyOPALTools  is the recommended way to analyse the different output files.

Ø  I will have to implement an Elegant Lattice in OPAL. Since I want to be smart in what I do, I thought I ask you, whether someone already has done a conversion like that and could provide me with some documentation, insights and/or tools. I will gladly do the same once I finished the conversion and the lattice proofed to be stable.

I don’t know of a conversion script, but perhaps someone has done this before.

Cheers, Jochem