opal - Re: [Opal] Size of Dipoles

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Size of Dipoles

  • From: Christof Metzger-Kraus <christof.j.kraus AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Thomas, Sebastian" <sthomas AT uni-mainz.de>
  • Cc: "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Size of Dipoles
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 12:07:06 +0200

Hi Sebastian,

do you know the parameter HAPERT? With it you can define the width of the magnet.

Cheers,
Christof

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 11:57 AM Thomas, Sebastian <sthomas AT uni-mainz.de> wrote:

Hi,

Quick question: Is there a way to manually define the size (i.e. width) of a dipole and its field? As I understand it, the size of the dipole is defined by the bend angle, the length and the Designenergy. Which makes perfectly sense.

But in my case right now I want to put three dipoles in succession to build a chicane for injection into an ERL. It looks like the picture attached.

Now, when I define the dipoles with the higher energy of the recirculating beam, the fields get way to wide and mess with the Injection line (coming from the right). When I define the dipoles with the energy of the injection, they are small enough, but I also have to change the angle and thus my beamline gets messed up. Thus, my question about manually resizing the dipoles.

I hope, I was able to make myself somewhat clear. Thanks for reading this and maybe answering!

Cheers

Sebastian

  • [Opal] Size of Dipoles, Thomas, Sebastian, 06/02/2020
    • Re: [Opal] Size of Dipoles, Christof Metzger-Kraus, 06/02/2020