opal - Re: [Opal] OPAL MAP [nosign]

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] OPAL MAP [nosign]

  • From: "Snuverink Jochem (PSI)" <jochem.snuverink AT psi.ch>
  • To: "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>, "Taubert, Sebastian" <taubert AT uni-mainz.de>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] OPAL MAP [nosign]
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 13:37:23 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

Hi Sebastian

Yes, you could do optics matching with OPAL-MAP. Note however, that OPAL-MAP is not widely tested and has limited functionality.

The theory, implementation and functionality is well described in the thesis of Philippe Ganz: https://gitlab.psi.ch/OPAL/src/-/wikis/Reports/thesisGanz.pdf

  • Is it necessary to specify drifts and give them NSLICES? Up to now drifts only exist implicitly, not as elements.

Yes, I believe it is necessary to specify drifts explicitly.

  • It is written that OPAL-MAP can handle SBENDs. Does it handle turned up/down dipoles via PSI as well ("vertical dipoles")? Do E1 and E2 pose problems to OPAL-MAP?

E1 and E2 are taken into account. I believe PSI is not (but this should be easy to verify). If you have an beamline that only goes up/down then you could change the x/y axes. An example of this is the Gantry 2 regression test:

https://gitlab.psi.ch/OPAL/regression-tests/-/tree/master/RegressionTests/MAP-Gantry2

Hope that helps,

Jochem

Im trying to do some optics matching with OPAL-MAP. But unfortunately OPAL-MAP seems to have some problem with my line. Therefore a few questions:

  • Is it necessary to specify drifts and give them NSLICES? Up to now drifts only exist implicitly, not as elements.
  • It is written that OPAL-MAP can handle SBENDs. Does it handle turned up/down dipoles via PSI as well ("vertical dipoles")? Do E1 and E2 pose problems to OPAL-MAP?

Is OPAL-MAP actually the correct choice for doing optics matching? The imported elegant/MAD-X files are not properly matched in OPAL. I guess that lies in the fundamentally different ways to integrate (base t vs base s etc.). So I need to re-match everything once importet to OPAL.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Doctoral Student

Accelerator Physics

Institut für Kernphysik
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Johann-Joachim-Becher-Weg 45
D - 55128 Mainz

E-Mail: taubert AT uni-mainz.de
Office: Due to Covid-19, temporarily not in office
Mobile: +49 1515 0535622

  • [Opal] OPAL MAP, Taubert, Sebastian, 01/14/2021
    • Re: [Opal] OPAL MAP [nosign], Snuverink Jochem (PSI), 01/15/2021