opal - RE: [Opal] the Energy gain per turn with 3D RF E-field

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

RE: [Opal] the Energy gain per turn with 3D RF E-field

  • From: Daniel Winklehner <winklehn AT mit.edu>
  • To: douguoliang <douguoliang AT impcas.ac.cn>, opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: RE: [Opal] the Energy gain per turn with 3D RF E-field
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 15:05:46 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Guoliang Dou,

The energy gain in a cyclotron will never be as high as the peak field of your cavity.

Did you consider the transit time factor (TTF) and, more importantly, the bunch phase? In OPAL, you can 1. plot the phases of when the bunch crossed the gaps and 2. do a phase scan to find what cavity phase would get you close to the desired energy gain, at least in the first turn. What is your designed synchronous phase? What is the isochronicity of your cyclotron magnetic field?

Another option for debugging your problem is to start with the built-in RF Cavities, set the parameters to match your 3D model as much as you can, and check what you get.

Your CST field seems a bit jumpy as well. You might consider increasing the resolution.

Best,

   Daniel