psiltpcolloquium-announcements AT lists.psi.ch
Subject: PSI/LTP colloquium announcements
[Psiltpcolloquium-announcements] [Fwd: PSI/LTP Thursday Colloquium] - The X-Ray Free Electron Laser Project at PSI
- From: Frank Meier <frank.meier AT psi.ch>
- To: psiltpcolloquium-announcements AT lists.psi.ch
- Subject: [Psiltpcolloquium-announcements] [Fwd: PSI/LTP Thursday Colloquium] - The X-Ray Free Electron Laser Project at PSI
- Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:01:11 +0200
- List-archive: <https://lists.web.psi.ch/pipermail/psiltpcolloquium-announcements/>
- List-id: PSI/LTP colloquium announcements <psiltpcolloquium-announcements.lists.psi.ch>
Please find below the details on this week's colloquium at PSI. If someone wants to connect using EVO please drop an email to this list.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: PSI/LTP Thursday Colloquium
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:57:48 +0200 (CEST)
From: Michael Spira <Michael.Spira AT psi.ch>
To: Alexander Mueck <alexander.mueck AT psi.ch>
This is to remind you of this week's Thursday colloquium at PSI.
speaker: B. D. Patterson, PSI
title: The X-Ray Free Electron Laser Project at PSI: Fundamentals,
Implementation and Possible Applications
date: Thursday, May 28, 2009
time: 4 p.m.
place: WHGA Auditorium
WWW URL: http://ltpth.web.psi.ch/colloquium/abstractpatterson.html
Third generation synchrotrons provide an average X-ray brightness 10^9
times that of a laboratory source, making trivial many experiments which
were formerly impossible. But standard short-wavelength synchrotron light
is also incoherent and is limited to pulse lengths in excess of 100 ps. A
hard X-ray free electron laser (XFEL) will produce a peak brightness 10^10
times that of a synchrotron, with full lateral coherence and 20 fs pulse
lengths. I briefly present the operating principle of an XFEL and
technical innovations proposed by PSI for a national XFEL facility .
Possible coherent scattering and time-resolved applications of the XFEL
are discussed, in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, structural
biology, magnetism and correlated electron systems.
With best regards,
Michael Spira and Alexander Mueck
- [Psiltpcolloquium-announcements] [Fwd: PSI/LTP Thursday Colloquium] - The X-Ray Free Electron Laser Project at PSI, Frank Meier, 05/26/2009
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.