h5part - Re: [H5part] SVN access available for contributions?

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

Re: [H5part] SVN access available for contributions?

  • From: Achim Gsell <Achim.Gsell AT psi.ch>
  • To: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [H5part] SVN access available for contributions?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:54:59 +0100

On Monday 12 March 2007 12:43, John Biddiscombe wrote:

> I generally do my daily development work on Windows using MS Visual
> Studio and had to make some tweaks to H5Part to get it to compile (real
> work takes place on the cluster of some other machine running
> unix/linux). I found subtle differences in Visual Studio version 7 and 8
> and have some patches for h5part to contribute.

Patches are always welcome, please publish them to this mailing list ...

> I would also like to contribute CMake support in the form of CMakeLists
> files for h5part.

I personally think that we should not add CMake support and stick to the
autoconf tools, which are available for all and installed on most systems.
Either we use the autoconf tools xor CMake.

> I have a question that perhaps someone knows the answer to.
> When I compile H5Part on a unix/linux machine, the H5Part.c and
> H5Block.c files are compiled as C without problem, but under windows I
> get a great many errors unless I compile them as C++. Given that the
> important parts are protected within extern "C" {...} declarations, is
> anyone aware of any fundamental difference between the ways that gcc and
> microsoft compilers handle C/C++ that might be significant. Compiling as
> C++ is really no problem, but I was surprised that these files didn't
> compile as plain C under win32.

I have no idea about MicroSoft C-compilers! Anyone else?

Achim