h5part AT lists.psi.ch
Subject: H5Part development and discussion
- From: Achim Gsell <achim.gsell AT psi.ch>
- To: Mark Howison <MHowison AT lbl.gov>
- Cc: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
- Subject: [H5part] Re: H5Block and ghost zones
- Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:01:46 +0200
- List-archive: <https://lists.web.psi.ch/pipermail/h5part/>
- List-id: H5Part development and discussion <h5part.lists.psi.ch>
On Jul 8, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Mark Howison wrote:
> I'm still working through the H5Block code, and I wanted to find out
> more about the original design decisions for handling arbitrary ghost
> zones, which introduces alot of complexity in "dissolving" them. I
> don't see an easy way to get around the O(n) space required in the
> H5Block file struct to store every proc's field layout for use in the
> ghost zone routines.
I implemented arbitrary ghost zone on request of LBNL ... But is the O(n)
space required really an issue? The layout occupies
6*sizeof(h5_int64_t)*nprocs bytes per process. With 64k cores it's just 3MB
(or 0.0022% of the available memory we have on Franklin/core).
> Do we need to support arbitrary ghost zones?
Good question, actually I don't know. As far as I know, we don't need them at
- [H5part] H5Block and ghost zones, Mark Howison, 07/08/2010
- [H5part] Re: H5Block and ghost zones, Mark Howison, 07/08/2010
- [H5part] Re: H5Block and ghost zones, Achim Gsell, 07/09/2010
- [H5part] Re: H5Block and ghost zones, Mark Howison, 07/09/2010
- Re: [H5part] Re: H5Block and ghost zones, Andreas Adelmann, 07/10/2010
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.