opal - [Opal] Confusion Manual 43 (OPAL-Cycl)

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Confusion Manual 43 (OPAL-Cycl)

  • From: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [Opal] Confusion Manual 43 (OPAL-Cycl)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:53:21 +0200

Hi Andreas,

I'm a little confused about the output when I'm trying to run a bunch with space charge.

I'm running for a single turn with a standard KV distribution, where particles populate the surface of an ellipsoid in 4D (transver) space. In OPAL I've discovered that I should use a BINOMIAL distribution, with m=0.0 for x and y and m=1.0 to make the distribution uniform in t. In this definition for sigmapx, sigmapy, do I need to use the definitions on pp.43 for conversion from what I would call "normal" phase space ie. in mrad to betagamma units?

Also, I wanted to check that in H5Root, the variables x,px are horizontal, y,py are vertical and z,pz are longitudinal?

The confusion is arising because of pp.43 in the manual, where it says that for OPAL-CYCL x,px are horizontal in a "given" co-ordinate system, y,py are horizontal in a global co-ordinate system and z,pz are vertical in a global co-ordinate system.

Thanks,
Suzie