opal - Re: [Opal] 3D OPAL-CYCL

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] 3D OPAL-CYCL

  • From: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: Opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] 3D OPAL-CYCL
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:35:15 +0200

Hello Karie for the multipacting simulations we are using 3D field maps.
For a Cyclotron simulations with the primary beam we are using mid-plane
field maps.
Even if you have arguments why using 3D field maps I would strongly suggest
start simple and more important, if space charge is the primary concern then
the
mid-plane field map is a good start.

Have a look at the manual in Chapter 4.2.2.

If you have established this field map, check the tunes. This is outlined in
4.2.6.

After that you are ready to do accelerated equilibrium orbits and need the
description
of the rf-cavities i.e. a voltage profile as function of the radius together
dV/dr.
Check out 7.15.3 and p 67.

Hope that helps to get started.

Andreas

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:50 PM, Karie Badgley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a computer model of our cyclotron which will give a 3D magnetic
> field map. I am wondering how I can implement this in OPAL-CYCL. The
> format for the field file shown in the manual is for 2D and I am
> wondering how to format the 3D file.
>
> Karie Badgley
>
> --
> Texas A&M University
> Dept. of Physics
> KarieBadgley AT neo.tamu.edu

------
Dr. sc. math. Andreas (Andy) Adelmann
Staff Scientist
Paul Scherrer Institut WLGB/132 CH-5232 Villigen PSI
Phone Office: xx41 56 310 42 33 Fax: xx41 56 310 31 91
Phone Home: xx41 62 891 91 44
Thursdays: ETH CAB H 83.1 +41 44 632 36 72
The more exotic, the more abstract the knowledge,
the more profound will be its consequences.
Leon Lederman