opal - Re: [Opal] SBend Results and Questions

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] SBend Results and Questions

  • From: Steve Russell <srussell AT lanl.gov>
  • To: Norman Huang <norman-huang AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] SBend Results and Questions
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:54:35 -0700

Norman,

I've run your problem and am puzzling through things. There does seem to be something amiss in the bend element which I'm tracking down. Basically, OPAL seems to calculating the wrong bend length, which translates to the wrong bend angle, and I'm not sure why. Part of the problem is that you specify a design energy of 500 MeV, but your beam is actually 1090.08 MeV, but that is not the whole problem.

As for the change in the px-x phase space I would argue that it is physical. When you include fringe fields, the y field component peaks on the midplane and falls off for particles with nonzero y. This translates into a change in px like you see via the vz * By term. Try plotting px vs y after the magnet entrance and you can see a more rational looking plot.

I'll let you know when I understand what else is going on.

Steve