opal - [Opal] OPAL-cycl and 'afterEachTurn'

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] OPAL-cycl and 'afterEachTurn'

  • From: Suzie Sheehy <suzie.sheehy AT stfc.ac.uk>
  • To: <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: [Opal] OPAL-cycl and 'afterEachTurn'
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:23:12 +0000

Hi there,

I have a question about the data outputted from OPAL-CYCL in the
.afterEachTurn file. How do you define a 'turn'? Given that the code uses a
timestep, is it simply dumped after a certain number of timesteps (perhaps
defined by the "STEPSPERTURN" number?), or does it actually ensure that the
particle has gone through a full 360 degrees of the map?

This is obviously also important to find the time-of-flight per turn in the
machine to check isochronicity, but it is also crucial in finding a proper
closed orbit, so you can see the turn-by-turn position of the particle at a
particular point to map out and minimise the phase space area at that point.

I also note that the h5 output is done by timestep also. It would seem to
make more sense if you could output the data at a physical position (as if
you put a 'screen' in the beamline) to reconstruct the phase space...

Also, nowhere in the manual does it say what the ".Angle0.dat" and
".Angle1.dat" files are which I seem to be getting.

Could someone please clarify?

Thanks,
Suzie

Suzie Sheehy
Research Fellow and 2010 Brunel Fellow
Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
ASTeC Intense Beams Group
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (R2, 403)
Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0QX
+44 (0)1235 446 782
suzie.sheehy AT stfc.ac.uk
www.suziesheehy.co.uk