opal - Re: [Opal] Beam profile

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Beam profile

  • From: Christof Metzger-Kraus <christof.j.kraus AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Rizzoglio Valeria (PSI)" <valeria.rizzoglio AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: opal <Opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Beam profile
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:25:52 +0100

Hi Valeria,

was it your intention not to add surfacephysics-handlers to the degraders?

christof

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Rizzoglio Valeria (PSI) <valeria.rizzoglio AT psi.ch> wrote:
Dear all

I am running a simulation with a graphite degrader that reduces the energy of a proton beam from 250 to 70 MeV. Attached the input file (Degrader_70.in)

The goal of my analysis is to evaluate the emittance growth due to particle-matter interaction. I use the last monitor M_Moliere placed 1 m away from the degrader. The evaluated emittance results a factor 2 bigger than expected. I plot the beam profile (see attachment).
To me this beam profile looks weird. Is there any reason to see the 4 “perfect aligned” tails? Have you ever notice this kind of behaviour? I think this tails are responsible for the wrong emittance evaluation.

Thanks for your help

Valeria

  • [Opal] Beam profile, Rizzoglio Valeria (PSI), 03/23/2017
    • Re: [Opal] Beam profile, Christof Metzger-Kraus, 03/23/2017