opal - Re: [Opal] Ks and Ksc frame

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Ks and Ksc frame

  • From: Arnau Albà <arnau.alba AT hotmail.com>
  • To: piot AT nicadd.niu.edu
  • Cc: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Ks and Ksc frame
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 06:01:00 +0100

Hi Philippe,

I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Ks is a coordinate system attached to the reference particle (a.k.a. design particle), with its z-axis in the same direction as the momentum of the reference particle.
The bunch will follow a trajectory similar to the design trajectory, but not exactly the same. That is why there is another coordinate system Ksc, which is at the center of the bunch and whose z-axis is aligned with the mean momentum of the bunch

At each time-step OPAL pushes both the reference particle and the particles in the bunch, so both Ks and Ksc are updated at each time-step.

The rotation that is applied to the z-axis when transforming Ks->Ksc is the same rotation that is applied to the x and y axes. So the x and y axes are not specifically aligned according to the correlations in the bunch.

Regarding your plots from the dogleg example:
You can find what each output from the stat file means in the documentation https://gitlab.psi.ch/OPAL/Manual-2.2/wikis/opalt#sec.opalt.opalt-output
In your case you are plotting mean_x, which is the bunch mean position relative to the reference particle (i.e. in the Ks coordinate system), and that is the reason for those kinks that you observe at each dipole. If you want to see the trajectory of a particle through the dogleg in the lab coordinate system, you could for example plot ref_x.

dogleg.png

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,

Arnau Albà