opal - [Opal] Fwd: tracking through alpha magnet

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Fwd: tracking through alpha magnet

  • From: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Cc: "peterpn36 AT gmail.com" <peterpn36 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: [Opal] Fwd: tracking through alpha magnet
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 06:14:02 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

From: peter pan <peterpn36 AT gmail.com>
Subject: tracking through alpha magnet
Date: 8 April 2020 at 23:17:51 CEST

Hello,

after about three weeks of learning the code I really enjoyed it.
I am trying to track an electron beam through an alpha magnet
which has a field similar  to one of a half of a quadrupole.
I used a long qudarupole element supplied by Opal, turned it around y-axes
and shifted by some distance away from the x-axes. The beam is supposed to make a full turn
in the magnet and exit it at around 270-degrees. I monitor the reference trajectory in x,z plane.
It seem like the trajectory behaves well for the first half of the loop but then instead of completing
the turn, the reference particle suddenly makes a very quick move which is unphysical.
Could you please comment if I can simulate such a motion in Opal-t? Basically, the question is can I simulate
turns with any arbitrary angle >90-degrees?

image.png

I would appreciate any comment.
Thank you in advance
Victor Verzilov