opal - [Opal] Optimiser

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Optimiser

  • From: Renato Bellotti <renato.bellotti AT psi.ch>
  • To: <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: [Opal] Optimiser
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 16:10:23 +0200

Dear OPAL developers,

I am experiencing problems with the optimiser. I am trying to solve the following problem:

You can see that I try to restrict the beam size within the first 10m of the accelerator.

Unfortunately, the optimiser does not find a single feasible individual, although it has tried > 7500 configurations.

I know that the problem has solutions that fulfil the constraint: Thanks to an ML surrogate model, I was able to run the optimisation with the pymoo Python library.

I am now a bit at a loss that OPAL cannot solve the problem while the Python library can. Am I doing something wrong in the config file (see appendix)?

I'm looking forward to your answers,

Renato