opal - Re: [Opal] Optimiser

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Optimiser

  • From: Renato Bellotti <renato.bellotti AT psi.ch>
  • To: "Snuverink Jochem (PSI)" <jochem.snuverink AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Optimiser
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:46:45 +0200

Dear Jochem,

Thanks for your answer.

Did you verify that the solutions you found with the surrogate model are also solutions with OPAL? (That is run the OPAL-simulation with that input and verify that it fulfils all constraints).

I have fed the Python-optimised configurations to OPAL, and the constraints are still fulfilled.

The optimiser is not optimised to find the first generation quickly. There is an optimizer flag called `INITIAL_OPTIMIZATION`, if you set this to TRUE (default FALSE), it will speed up the first generation. It is mostly for finding the last feasible individuals, so it will probably not help in your case.
This sounds interesting. What does this option do, and what do you mean by "the last feasible individuals"?
What you can also do is generate the feasible solutions with the surrogate model, make a JSON generation file from them, and start the optimisation with that generation (`STARTPOPULATION`). This is not possible because I'd like to calculate the speedup of ranning an optimisation with the surrogate model vs. with OPAL.

Hope that helps,
Jochem

This helps a lot, thank you!

Cheers,