opal - Re: [Opal] Questions about space charge in an alpha magnet with OPAL

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Questions about space charge in an alpha magnet with OPAL

  • From: Adelmann Andreas <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: "Abel.PIRES AT cea.fr" <Abel.PIRES AT cea.fr>
  • Cc: "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <Opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Questions about space charge in an alpha magnet with OPAL
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:37:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass (sender ip is 104.47.22.40) smtp.rcpttodomain=cea.fr smtp.mailfrom=psi.ch; dmarc=pass (p=none sp=none pct=100) action=none header.from=psi.ch; dkim=none (message not signed); arc=none (0)
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=Ol3ZpV2sOUSqQVxGE5i4/vPu3zAq95bJja0IxSijx+0=; b=TcVdb6M9NfhQ3wWOWCOciNBgXTVwXdfFTuS7tqakC8GhjJOQV8Bz1viNtKlV49OqDLOF5HQzOYA6ASD4390MCwr/z9TJX9aAj1DyK+6hqanVtqupdD+czH3NyzVPIQM4IkUxTO8EpgfaMKojPc4m/oV97v6pZd8ne0wuvHanCXxlzNqY3XKNbFJ2ApLt0XpZfCCLahXUB9+ATs6LdFudl476knTHNrkQQrQUVJOpQDPxA/OhdxGgpdZKTXDD6lbxs/44nJqJ6gDsyjeJwP13hYrFuYLZsin/2Te5EJ8+VbpjgDhCPIFtkjso1eiR/HCu3H1jS6FZOpcmYgAU5lYtQw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=VarBaoF680AsvXsiKnBmOaqOutzDncFNm1j0Pawz4XtDRag6CKmqVNLQ7N3x8KAqHdAhh5aNKHWZnNRCXWI8ciuVhZSFdTS6UrnJyKNZGc3LXGBn78W9eyHsS0titxU3P15XNQ0TUP0FEwX6oGKbiwtew51XKuo72noa4z02FMeK+pE9wr5edHdgvFbClq7OAUSCLTt5t6yzAEF1d/DfmyKmoqmnqWmbwwM8J1rYQKqCQqEcMhSxIfL4M87SHr8BcvUIYXfecwXY/wno+0s6J9GNkUoa4nQrqUgee1PEXZeyx/sZizdbECU5GbGefUSlMr1ivEqNxwVGJfIBAuQ6OQ==
  • Authentication-results-original: dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;dmarc=none action=none header.from=psi.ch;

Dear Abel sorry for the delay in answering.

Indeed this is an interesting problem, maybe even a challenge!

OPAL does not have a predefined alpha magnet. However if a field map could read
into the cyclotron flavour (http://amas.web.psi.ch/opal/Documentation/master/#sec.elements.cyclotron)
or into the Ring element (http://amas.web.psi.ch/opal/Documentation/master/#sec.elements.ringdefinition) one
could try to model this.

I would guess that there is a need to model synchrotron radiation (maybe in a second phase) and what certainly needs
to be addressed is the small bending radius. Our field solver uses a Cartesian grid, we need to understand the implication
of this.

Overall I am certain that OPAL can be used/updated to solve that problem, however some modification are maybe required order.

Cheers A
------
Dr. sc. math. Andreas (Andy) Adelmann
Head a.i. Labor for Scientific Computing and Modelling
Paul Scherrer Institut OHSA/D09 CH-5232 Villigen PSI
Phone Office: xx41 56 310 42 33 Fax: xx41 56 310 31 91
Zoom ID: 470-582-4086 Password: AdA
Zoom Link: https://ethz.zoom.us/j/4705824086?pwd=dFcvT1pMMGY0bHg0dTNncUNZZTJkZz09

Friday: ETH HPK G 28   +41 44 633 3076
The more exotic, the more abstract the knowledge,
the more profound will be its consequences.
Leon Lederman