h5part - Re: [H5part] What is H5Block

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

Re: [H5part] What is H5Block

  • From: Achim Gsell <Achim.Gsell AT psi.ch>
  • To: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [H5part] What is H5Block
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:04:52 +0200

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 16:15, John Biddiscombe wrote:
> Thanks Kurt and John for the explanations.
>
> One further question....does H5Block have a concept of time? I would like
> to store a series of volumes as time steps. There are 800 time steps and
> the data is 600^3 (it's quite large). I could manage with one time step per
> file, but my preference is to lump it all together.

H5Block is an extension of H5Part and has the same concept of time. You have
the time-steps from H5Part and may have block data in these time-steps.

> An Observation.
>
> I see that you have made a vector field out of 3 components inside a
> group.
This is a nice and simple way of handling things. However, for the H5Part
data I am generating, I have done the following
> Density
> Pressure
> Position_0
> Position_1
> Position_2
> sigma
> Velocity_0
> Velocity_1
> Velocity_2
>
> and added a simple group name parsing routine which detects when N
components with the same name exist and allows you to read them into a
3component array instead of 3 one component arrays.

> The reason I did this was because of the possibility to read any scalar
variable as X coordinate, Y or Z, and recombine arrays arbitrarily. The code
parses the group names and by default reconstructs your arrays based on the
naming scheme above - but if you request "Position_0 Pressure Velocity_2" as
coordinates
> then you can read these three as a single 'field' and use them as (say)
> the
position coordinate (and so on with velocity etc)

> I'm not saying that you can't do it by lumping them into the same group as
you have done with the block data - but have you any comments on my
approach? - I can seem myself having two grouping schemes if I use H5Block
for volume data too?

Whether this is reasonable or not depends on your needs - you may do
something
similar with H5Block ...

Achim