opal - [Opal] Simple Test

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Simple Test

  • From: Karie Badgley <karie.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [Opal] Simple Test
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:10:48 -0600

Hello,

I am wanting to use my magnetic field on a midplane for a cyclotron I
am designing which has two accelerating cavities. I first wanted to
run a simple test of a constant magnetic field to make sure the
particles would travel in a circle. I included the accelerating
cavities in my .in file but set the voltage to zero. The orbits that I
am getting look very odd (in attached image). The have curved portions
but in some regions of the field go straight. I will try to take the
cavities out of the .in file and run again, but I am wondering what is
going wrong?

Karie Badgley
Texas A&M University