opal - Re: [Opal] Runge-Kutta

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Runge-Kutta

  • From: jjyang <jianjun.yang AT psi.ch>
  • To: Andreas Adelmann <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: "Power, John" <JP AT anl.gov>, opal AT lists.psi.ch, Matthias Toggweiler <matthias.toggweiler AT psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Runge-Kutta
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 21:45:10 +0200

Hi Andreas,

I think what John ask for is RK integrator in OPAL-T. But OPAL-CYCL has R-K time integrator. But one also need to set the time step manually.

Hi John, could you please clarify this ?

Jianjun Yang
Post-doctoral
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Work Address:
Paul Scherrer Institut   WBGB/125
CH-5232 Villigen PSI Switzerland

在 2012-5-4,下午9:21, Andreas Adelmann 写道:

Hello John, we are working on the adaptive scheme, a prototype is working fine.
In the case of RF photo gun simulations we got very good improvements w.r.t. time
to solution, a paper is on the way on that.

I can not yet tell you when this will be available in a released version, however I am
confident that this will be a matter of weeks only.

With the possibility to use several tracks in one input file you can, without pain,
switch to different time steps:

// Simulation of the gun with step size DT=1.0e-12
TRACK, LINE= Injector, BEAM=beam1, MAXSTEPS=100, DT=1.0e-12, ZSTOP=0.14;
 RUN, METHOD = "PARALLEL-T", BEAM = beam1, FIELDSOLVER = Fs1, DISTRIBUTION = Dist1;
ENDTRACK;

// Simulation of the beam with step size DT=1.0e-11
TRACK,LINE= Injector, BEAM=beam1, MAXSTEPS=50, DT=1.0e-11, ZSTOP=0.20;
 RUN, METHOD = "PARALLEL-T", BEAM=beam1, FIELDSOLVER=Fs1;
ENDTRACK;

Of course this is not adaptive!

Thanks for considering OPAL!

Cheers Andreas