opal - Re: [Opal] Runge-Kutta

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Runge-Kutta

  • From: Matthias Toggweiler <matthias.toggweiler AT psi.ch>
  • To: "Power, John" <JP AT anl.gov>
  • Cc: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Runge-Kutta
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:04:47 +0200

Hi John

My colleagues already answered most points, but to summarize and to give a
little bit more detail:

- Runge-Kutta integrator per se does not use adaptive time steps, but is just
an integrator of higher order available in OPAL-CYCL in addition to the
standard Boris-Buneman integrator.

- OPAL-T has only the Boris-Buneman integrator (second order leapfrog-like
scheme). There is no plan to add a Runge-Kutta integrator here; memory
requirements of RK are higher.

- The adaptivity in our current work deals with varying the time step
according to how strong space charge forces are. Simulations where space
charge effects are important (RF photoinjector is a perfect candidate) can
profit from this adaptivity a lot.

- Simulations where space charge is less important do not profit noticeably
from the variable time stepping. There, another approach makes more sense.
For example, a multiple-time-stepping integrator in OPAL-CYCL evaluates space
charge effects less often than external field effects.

- Not everything will be automatic: for example, you will still have to set
an initial time step. Nevertheless, less manual work will be required to
achieve better quality solutions.

- In my masterthesis, good results were obtained with a first prototype (see
scenario EGun-CTF3 in
http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch/eserv/eth:5175/eth-5175-01.pdf). The
problem there was that the time step used for space charge effects dictates
the time step used for external field effects. We are working on an improved
prototype where the integration of these two effects is less tightly coupled.
Our understanding how to the time step should be chosen has also improved
since then.

To conclude, I am happy that you are interested in this work and we are
working hard to get this going. However, as already noted, it is not magic
that will do everything automatically, but one step towards more intelligent
integration.

Best,
Matthias