opal - RE: [Opal] Runge-Kutta

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

RE: [Opal] Runge-Kutta

  • From: "Power, John" <JP AT anl.gov>
  • To: "'opal AT lists.psi.ch'" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: RE: [Opal] Runge-Kutta
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:03:29 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I really appreciate the work you guys
are doing here since the community is need of a modern, well-documented,
well-vetted code. Please keep up the good work.

I should have written that I was looking for something similar to GPT (other
than the price) which uses a 5th order embedded Runge-Kutta integrator with
adaptive stepsize control. Further, as a code user it is really the adaptive
timestep that I find attractive; not the integration algorithm. Setting the
initial time step is not a problem.

By the way, I would have thought that an adaptive timestep would be helpful
in more cases than just those having to do with space charge. For instance,
an adaptive step would insure that one does not "step" over a short element.

Cheers,
John

>>> John