opal - [Opal] normalized emittance OPAL

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] normalized emittance OPAL

  • From: "Haj Tahar, Malek" <mhajtahar AT bnl.gov>
  • To: "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: [Opal] normalized emittance OPAL
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 18:11:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:zgXrEB2J+8IwdCXFsmDT+DRfVm0co7zxezQtwd8ZsegQKfad9pjvdHbS+e9qxAeQG96Lt7Qd16GP6v+ocFdDyKjCmUhKSIZLWR4BhJdetC0bK+nBN3fGKuX3ZTcxBsVIWQwt1Xi6NU9IBJS2PAWK8TWM5DIfUi/yKRBybrysXNWC04Lui6vrosKbSj4LrQT+SIs6FA+xowTVu5teqqpZAYF19CH0pGBVcf9d32JiKAHbtR/94sCt4MwrqHwI6Lpyv/JHBO/9Z608ZbhZFyg9dXgu5YvgtVOLGQyX7380VmQNjgEOGxPEqhr6CMTfqCz/46Bd0SvSAcT2RKpwERGr66poAle8jScONSIw8GjNosZ2iORUpwz39E83+JLdfIzAbKk2RajaZ95PHWc=

Dear all,

I have little experience with OPAL and I would like to know if anyone has already encountered this problem: I track a KV beam distribution in an injection line and compute the x-rms emittance which is expected to be constant (since this is a KV beam). Instead, I obtain a strange behavior: when space charge is off, the x-normalized emittance is constant, however, once space charge is on, I have an overshoot in certain locations, specifically at the entrance and exit of some quadrupoles (attached).

I wonder if anyone has an experience with this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Malek Haj Tahar UJF/BNL
PhD student / ADS-R Group

Brookhaven National Laboratory