opal - Re: [Opal] normalized emittance OPAL

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] normalized emittance OPAL

  • From: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: "Haj Tahar, Malek" <mhajtahar AT bnl.gov>
  • Cc: opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] normalized emittance OPAL
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 05:50:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

Hello Malek yes the mentioned paper nicely explained these things.
On top of that do not forget that you are integrating in time, hence part
of the beam is already in the quadrupole and the other part in the drift. This is
different when using maps. However you can add a monitor and record the particles
at a given location and then calculate the emittances, projected and total. I have root scripts
that are doing this if you need them I am more than happy to share them with you.

A FODO channel +  focussing asymmetries paired with heavy space charge
can develop non-linearities, and this means it is not a priori clear that the projected
emittance must be conserved.

I hope that helps, cheers Andreas