opal - Re: [Opal] V1.2 and V1.4

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] V1.2 and V1.4

  • From: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: Nicole Neveu <nneveu AT hawk.iit.edu>
  • Cc: opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>, "Russell, Steve" <srussell AT lanl.gov>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] V1.2 and V1.4
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 07:02:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

Hello Nicole

Hello OPAL experts,

I've been using OPAL for the past few months and things are going well. Thanks again for your help with my thermionic gun simulations when I first started. I am currently running V1.2, but plan to switch to V1.4 when it is released. I have a few questions about the differences, ect.

Yes 1.4 is a bit late :( but we are close :-)

1. Does OPAL scale magnetic field maps to the max B value in the file, or max Bz on axis? Pg. 183 of the manual says: "the input field map will be normalized so the peak field magnitude value is equal to ...1 T in the case of magnetic field maps."  I think I see this behavior in my simulations, but appendix C (pg. 203) says scaling is done using max Bz on axis values. Is this a feature that is changed from V1.2 to V1.4?

The behaviour is as described on P. 183 and the description on P 203 is corrected in the new version of the manual.

@Steve: can you check please

2. Should I use the R or E collimator? When we were emailing about the thermionic gun, it was suggested that I use the R collimator. The manual says E is supported in OPAL-T (pg.98). Is this difference an artifact of using V1.2?

In 1.4 you can use both, indeed there was a problem in 1.2.

3. I have been running on a cluster at ANL, and I've been able to run on multiple processors, but not on multiple nodes. I get segmentation faults (11). Is this an artifact of using V1.2 that will be fixed in V1.4, or is it something I am doing wrong?  The cluster uses Torque PBS manager and Maui PBS scheduler, and my run commands look like the following:

mpirun -np 16 opal OTR.in --info 0 | tee OTR.out

That should work. Are you using the pre-build binaries for the closure runs?
If you send me the input file I can have a look and check on our cluster.
Also tell me where do you want to have the E-collimator so I can try.
Do we have a Dropbox?

Cheers Andreas