opal - Re: [Opal] Particle interactions for news developments in OPAL

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Particle interactions for news developments in OPAL

  • From: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: "Baumgarten Christian (PSI)" <christian.baumgarten AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: "opal AT lists.psi.ch" <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Particle interactions for news developments in OPAL
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 06:19:02 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

Dear Andreas et al,

very good idea indeed.

One comment: I would expect that the van-der-Waals
constants "a" and "b" can be neglected at gas densities
in which cyclotrons are able to work, probably even close
to internal ion sources.

You are probable right and this brings an other question to the surface: how
do we specify the pressure in the vacuum chamber. Do we add to each
lattice element pressure value? Do we assume over a lattice element the pressure
does not change?

Of course it would be interesting to have this kind of loss
Monte Carlo also for H2+, though I am not sure if cross
section data for different vibration states are known…

There is some knowledge, the figure below is from https://arxiv.org/abs/1207.4895

One question: Did you also consider to trace stripped
ions to the walls of the vacuum tank to enable for a
prediction of activation hot spots?

See my comment to Jon and yes OPAL can handle geometries and we
should be able to know where particles are hitting the wall.

-- Christian

------
Dr. sc. math. Andreas (Andy) Adelmann
Staff Scientist - Deputy Labor Head LSM
Paul Scherrer Institut OHSA/D17 CH-5232 Villigen PSI
Phone Office: xx41 56 310 42 33 Fax: xx41 56 310 31 91
Phone Home: xx41 62 891 91 44
Friday: ETH CAB F37 or HPK G 28   +41 44 632 75 22
The more exotic, the more abstract the knowledge,
the more profound will be its consequences.
Leon Lederman

Begin forwarded message: