h5part - [H5part] H5Block VisIt Plugin

h5part AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: H5Part development and discussion

[H5part] H5Block VisIt Plugin

  • From: Kurt Stockinger <kstockinger AT lbl.gov>
  • To: h5part AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [H5part] H5Block VisIt Plugin
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:20:25 -0700

Hi,

Last Friday evening I sent the following email but it didn't get through
since the attachment where too large. I resent the email with pointers to the
figures.

On Monday Andreas sent me some H5Block data. I've experimented with the
H5Block Interface and started writing a simple VisIt PlugIn to visualize
the scalar field "Potential" of the data set ImpactT.h5part. Gunther
gave me some excellent hints about how to get started with the VisIt
Plugin. It currently works in serial mode.

Find attached 3 timesteps of the visualization:

http://vis.lbl.gov/~kurts/download/h5block/ImpactT-Potential-t00000.png
http://vis.lbl.gov/~kurts/download/h5block/ImpactT-Potential-t10000.png
http://vis.lbl.gov/~kurts/download/h5block/ImpactT-Potential-t20000.png

An important next step would be to get some documentation for H5Block.
For instance, from the current data set I could not retrieve the mesh
spacing so for the visualization I currently assume a mesh spacing of 1
in each direction.

It seems that the H5Block API distinguishes between mesh spacing and
field spacing. For the provided data set "H5Block3dGetFieldSpacing"
seems undefined. I also noticed that we currently only have
H5BlockSetMeshSpacing but no function called H5BlockGetMeshSpacing.

How can I currently retrieve the mesh spacing information from the data set?

I guess, that's enough for a start. ;-)

Thanks,
Kurt

--
Kurt Stockinger
Computational Research Division

Tel: +1 (510) 486 5519, Fax: +1 (510) 486 5812
email: KStockinger AT lbl.gov
http://vis.lbl.gov/~kurts