opal - Re: [Opal] Thermionic Gun

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Thermionic Gun

  • From: Nicole Neveu <nneveu AT hawk.iit.edu>
  • To: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Thermionic Gun
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:02:44 -0500

Andreas,

Yes, I was able to simulate AWA's photoinjector (with version 1.2.0), and we had great agreement with ASTRA simulations. I ran many different cases without major issues, so that was encouraging. However, I haven't had as much luck with the thermionic case (learning curve I would say), here is some relevant info:

- The gun is RF
- 75 MV/m max field
- Current density = or > 10 A/cm^2
- 3.0 mm cathode
- field map is 3D

Questions:

1. Will OPAL allow distributions with hard cut offs? i.e. TRISE = TFALL = 0. Pasted below is my best guess at a cylindrical distribution with radius 3.0mm. How does it look?

Dist:DISTRIBUTION, DISTRIBUTION = FLATTOP,
SIGMAR = 0.003,
TRISE = 0,
TFALL = 0,
TPULSEFWHM = ID_FWHM_TIME_FLAT / 1.0e12,
CUTOFFLONG = 3.0,
NBIN = 9,
EMISSIONSTEPS = 10,
EMISSIONMODEL = ASTRA,
EKIN = 0.2,
EMITTED = True,
WRITETOFILE = False;

2. I've tried using the BOUNDPDESTROYFQ option to control lost particles. I get this error:

OPAL{+0}> *** Parse error detected by function "Object::parse()"

OPAL{+0}> *** in line 3 of file "TGDistTest1.in" before token "=":

OPAL{+0}>     OPTION,BOUNDPDESTROYFQ=10;

OPAL{+0}>     Object "" has no attribute "BOUNDPDESTROYFQ".

3. I've seen these warnings a lot, even when running my AWA files. What do they mean?

Warning{+0}> reduce: there was nothing to reduce, since the masks were all false.

Warning{+0}> Could not set total charge in PartBunch::setCharge based on getTotalNum

Warning{+0}> Marker not implemented yet!

Warning{+0}> Marker not implemented yet!

Thanks!

Nicole