opal - Re: [Opal] Thermionic Gun

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

Re: [Opal] Thermionic Gun

  • From: "Adelmann Andreas (PSI)" <andreas.adelmann AT psi.ch>
  • To: Nicole Neveu <nneveu AT hawk.iit.edu>
  • Cc: christof kraus <christof.j.kraus AT gmail.com>, John Power <JP AT anl.gov>, opal <opal AT lists.psi.ch>
  • Subject: Re: [Opal] Thermionic Gun
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 19:28:36 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, de-CH

Hi Nicole

Thanks for the info. I will try switching over to 1.3.2 until 1.4 is released. As for the thermionic gun, with your corrections to the input file, I've made a lot of progress on the simulations. Preliminary results look good, doing some more analysis today. And on that note, I want to ask a few more questions (for you or Andreas) about OPAL and the changes  you made:

1. How is the emission affected by binning? Once the first bins get far enough from the cathode, is the image charge turned off bin by bin, or is it turned off for all the bins at the same time?

You need to find out empirically the number of bins. I rarely used more than 10 but this very much depends on the problem you have at hand.
In case we have #bins > 1, we do image charges.

2. From one of your previous emails, I got the impression that the MINSTEPFORREBIN should be large enough to happen after the emission process. Is that a rule of thumb? What is the importance there?

You should use DEBIN

OPAL> help, distribution;

….
OPAL> real            DEBIN Energy band for a bin in keV that defines when to combine bins. That is, when the energy spread of all bins is below this number combine bins into a single bin.

MINSTEPFORREBIN will disappear soon OR will make into the OPTION command.

3. How did you know to set the RF phase to -270 degrees?

This maybe needs to be answered by Christof

Cheers

Thanks!

Nicole