opal - [Opal] Some questions regarding OPAL

opal AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: The OPAL Discussion Forum

[Opal] Some questions regarding OPAL

  • From: Galo Gallardo <ggallardo AT hi-iberia.es>
  • To: opal AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: [Opal] Some questions regarding OPAL
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:38:40 +0200

Dear OPAL members,

As you already know, we would like to use OPAL-t in order to simulate deuteron bunches in the different modules of the IFMIF-DONES linac. For our problem, we basically need to get final particle distribution at the end of the lattice and the energy of the bunch.

So far, I have gone through the user's guide, the AWA RFPhotoInjector example and PyOPALTools notebooks. However, I still have a few questions (and pretty sure more will come along the way):

1. Regarding the particles distribution at the end, is it just provided in the RFphotoinjector.h5 that was generated after the simulation? I was checking it with pyOPALTools (the x and y variables).

2. Regarding the .T7 files, are these mandatory? Poisson Superfish is required too? Is there any guide related to the generation of such files beyond whats in the user's guide?

3. After running the simulation, a folder called /data/ is also created, with some files in it. What are these files used for? I have not seen examples of them in the pyOPALTools notebooks.

4. If you have any other examples related to LINAC modules besides the AWA RF photo injector, we would appreciate if you could share them.

5. Do you know anyone within IFMIF-DONES that has knowledge in OPAL-t? Besides Iván Podadera, he only used OPAL-cycl.

That would be all for now. Thanks for your attention!

Best regards,

Galo Gallardo