idok-users - Re: [idok-users] some trouble with hostnames (corba trouble) -- solution

idok-users AT lists.psi.ch

Subject: iDok user discussion

Re: [idok-users] some trouble with hostnames (corba trouble) -- solution

  • From: Gyuris Szabolcs <szimszon AT oregpreshaz.eu>
  • To: Florian Hübner <florian.huebner AT psi.ch>
  • Cc: idok-users AT lists.psi.ch
  • Subject: Re: [idok-users] some trouble with hostnames (corba trouble) -- solution
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 19:38:05 +0200

Finally...

http://doc.javanb.com/javasdk-docs-1-5-0/guide/idl/jidlFAQ.html#linuxior
said:

"
Why can't I connect using IOR's from a Linux server when the IOR
contains 127.0.0.0 as the host address?

On Red Hat Linux installations InetAddress.getLocalHost() may return
an InetAddress corresponding to the loopback address (127.0.0.1). This
arises because the default installation creates an association in
/etc/hosts between the hostname of the machine and the loopback address.
To ensure that InetAddress.getLocalHost() returns the actual host
address, update the /etc/hosts file or the name service configuration
file (/etc/nsswitch.conf) to query dns or nis before searching hosts.
"

So the trick is. In hosts file the server's hostname must match the
service's IP address.

If the servername is rivendell and the service is running at 192.168.1.1
but the service domain name is idok.domain.tld then the /etc/hosts file
must contain the following line:

192.168.1.1 rivendell

I think it's not a lucky thing to bind IOR to _hostname's_ IP address,
why can't I change where to bind IOR :(

It's like in windows to link services to host's domain name :( Grrr.